Supporting Documentation Details
The supporting documentation for Report #3 - Election Database and Data Process Analysis can be downloaded below. The download is a single zip archive file which contains database files from a Dominion voting machine. This single file is about 750MB in size and depending on the speed of your Internet connection can take a number of minutes to download. The remainder of this article will detail an sample of what can be found in the download, what specifically is included in the download, how to use the downloaded files to perform your own analysis.
For your reference, included below are several screenshots of what these databases look like when viewed within Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
Listing of tables within a Dominion database
List of items within the "ActivityItems" table within a Dominion database
Included in the zip archive are 12 files representing 6 database backups or snapshots. The 6 sets of database backup files each have a matching pair of files which include a data file (MDF) and log file (LDF). Included below are details for each file including the name, size and hashes for each file to validate the downloaded files match the original source.
1. 2020 Mesa County General-2020-09-05-00-10-20
6. City of Grand Junction Municipal Election 2021-2021-02-05-16-01-32
How to Use
Once you have downloaded the supporting documentation you can follow the steps below to view these files. The instructions below will work on any Windows based computer with the required software.
- Once the zip file is downloaded you will need to extract the files into a temporary directory on your computer.
- Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to your machine running SQL Server
- Within the Object Explorer expand the node representing your machine and right click on the "Databases" folder and choose "Attach..." from the context menu.
- Click the Add button under the "Databases to attach" header and choose the MDF file you wish to add and hit OK. Please note: this process works best with the MDF and LDF files are in the same folder/directory on your machine.
- At this point the database should be loaded successfully into your Object Explorer
- Microsoft SQL Server any edition (Dev, Standard, or Enterprise) version 2016 or newer. [download]
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio [download]
As mentioned previously, the supporting documentation is a single zip file which is about 750MB in size and as such it may take a while to download depending on your Internet connection.